VOLUNTEERING AT FEEDING 5,000 2017
We need plenty of assistance to help make Saturday 17th June work. The biggest need will be in the afternoon. Below, the organiser Cathy Westby outlines the tasks and duties:
Set-up & Clear-up Teams:
You've got big muscles, a great attitude but little time!
8:30am – 10:30am:
This will be to help set up, and will include:
- marshalling vehicles onto the site to drop off equipment
- unloading and setting up stalls, including tables and gazebos, staging and small pa
- "dressing" the site - putting up flags, bunting etc
This will be to help clear the site, and will include:
- picking up any rubbish still on site ready for disposal
- dismantling gazebos, staging, bunting etc and helping pack into vehicles
- marshalling vehicles on and off the site
Feeding 5,000 Hosts:
You've got a big smile, lots of energy and an easy
There will be two shifts:
10.30am– 1.30pm & 1pm-4pm
The main duties will be to:
- give out the knitted/crocheted fish alongside the food
- explain who we are and why we're doing this
- be prepared to answer any questions about the event and about our churches across Hull
- be a friendly face and a hospitable host
- direct people to some of the other activities we've got on
Of course, above everything else, we want to be a positive, friendly and hospitable presence throughout the day.
You've got a servant heart, clear thinking and strong legs...
There will be two shifts again:
– 1.30pm & 1pm–4pm
The main duties will be:directing people to the food vans and the event, and letting people know they can get a free fish butty!
Directing queues where necessary
Keeping people off the flower-beds and out of the fountain (in a smiley sort of way – we have hired security as a back up!)
litter picking and keeping the site generally tidy
being a point of reference for questions and signposting
Craft & Activity Helpers:
You've got nimble fingers and lots of patience!
There will be two shifts again: 10.30am–1.30pm & 1pm-4pm
· get involved, particularly with children and their families, helping with simple crafts & activities
people to add their thumb-print fish onto our canvas
· help to keep the resources in order